Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bee Sightings on Campus

First of all, if you are not familiar with Courtney's post, please click here and get yourself up to speed.

The most dedicated of readers may remember that WAY back on October 7, 2009, I had written P.S. I heard a rumor that UB's mascot is the "Super Bee." Can anyone confirm or deny this? to which Laura noted she "didn't know" and Charlene summed up nicely with, "We have a mascot !!!!" (The entire post is here, if you would like to review in full.)

So, as Courtney has answered all of our collective prayers, I have been beside myself with excitement and looking everywhere for a Bee. Here are my findings, field guide style.

2/24/2010, 12:30PM, Law School Computer Lab:

Read Courtney's post about bee/mascot. Scream out loud in amazement. Receive dirty looks from stressed out law students.

2/25/2010, 11:30PM:

Receive UB Daily Digest on iPhone. See headline about Bee mascot. Try desperately to read article on tiny phone screen, realize that it is a teaser and has no further information. Continue ignoring Con Law professor.

2/25/2010, 6:00PM:

Have now searched all five floors of law school building, can confirm that there are NO bees. Countless Ravens spotted. Classmates no longer amused by my questions about possible mascots. One classmate angrily informs me Poe is our mascot.

2/26/2010. 9:00AM:

Confirmed, Poe is law school mascot. Statute out front, 95% of building is named after him, he is dark and depressing, much like law school.

2/27/2010, 9:30AM:

Remember I am in law school, go to library early Saturday morning. Drove car instead of light rail, still, no Bees spotted.

2/27/2010, 1:00PM:

Walk all over building next to law school, you know the one with admissions, bursar's office, the gym? Still no bees spotted.

2/27/2010, 1:13PM:
Follow up on tip received back in October 2009 that "there is some bee thing in the gym." Thank you, Clay Gorton, for your shallow and obvious attempt to get me to work out with you.

2/27/2010, 1:15PM:

EUREKA! There is, in fact, a bee in the gym! This Bee is painted on the wall of the basketball court. He is about as tall as I am, although he is pretty high up on the wall. He doesn't really look like a bee at all, and none of the colors are the university colors (which I understand to be some combination of blue, gold, and slate). Also, his funky shirt is circa 1950, so I think this may be an example of the outgoing bee.

3/1/2010, 12:26PM:

Three more bees found, interestingly, all in the gym.



This specimen was located on a display in one of the hallways in the gym. He is stepping on a cigarette. A good message, definitely. He also resembles a bee. The tough face and well defined muscles make this guy a good mascot, plus he is clearly wearing a UB shirt.




This specimen was also located on the wall in the gym. He is on a banner, way up high on the basketball court. Unfortunately, all I had was my iPhone, and this was a sighting I did not want to miss. Plus, some guys were playing basketball, and I was trying to stay out of the way. This bee is really similar to the above one.



This specimen was located in another gym hallway. He is advertising intramural sports. In an effort to be more anatomically correct, this guy has several sets of arms/legs. Although he looks MUCH more like a bee than my first sighting, he also sort of looks like a Hindu god. Also, not only does he have some well developed arms (all 4 of them!) but he has been doing some sit ups and pilates. I don't know how I feel about his superhero gloves, they look a little outdated to me.

SCIENTIFIC FINDINGS:
1) There are several bees on campus.
2) The red bee on the gym is pretty surely an old one. He has that sort of "Steamboat Willy" charm to him, but I think is probably not a new design.
3) The 2nd and 3rd bees are for sure UB bees, but I am wondering if they are so generic because they were thought up for a stop-smoking campaign, and not a UB design.
4) The fourth bee is on one hand, sort of outdated and all over the place, but on the other hand a pretty decent sports mascot.

Now I leave it to you. Which design do you like best? Have you found any other bees on campus? Do you think any of these designs predict what the new mascot will be? After the last block party being so much fun, how excited are you for the next one? Leave some comments!

WHAT I LEARNED IN LAW SCHOOL
"Maybe the only special interest group that no one hates is the League of Women Voters. Well, probably not even them." American Legal History Professor.
Turns out, Madison wrote about special interest groups (he called them factions) back when the Constitution was still just a twinkle in his eye. His argument: The bigger the country, the more special interest groups represented, the less likely it is one can take over and subjugate all the others.

5 comments:

Aula said...

Kind of reminds me of the New Orleans Hornets mascot.

michelle said...

unfortunately, i don't spend much time on campus so i haven't seen any bees. love your diligent efforts and this comment "he is dark and depressing, much like law school". that made me giggle. i'm not sure i like any of the bees. too old school; too angry; too many hands lol

interesting note about the special interest groups. i wish madison's argument were true across the board, instead of for only select special peeps :p maybe one day...

Courtney S. said...

First, let me start off by saying this: Spencer, you are my favorite poster thus far!! Not only because you actually read, and liked, my post about the bee, but because you said last block party was so much fun - I planned that one too!! haha.

Anyway, I loved this post because you have been diligently looking for the bee. I've heard a little buzz about how we will have some more sightings soon, you just have to keep posted on the page http://www.ubalt.edu/template.cfm?page=3708 <- they're going to start posting sightings soon ;]

I just found this post hilarious though, and I agree with Michelle, the comment about Poe made me giggle. :)

giordana segneri said...

Spencer! I laughed out loud! I love what I can only imagine as a frantic, Nutty Professor-esque search for BEES! Well, don't you worry: UB will be hitting its mascot sweet (get it?) spot soon, and let me tell you: It will be worth the wait. A little bee told me there may be multiple sightings (3-D and otherwise) in the very near future.

Spencer said...

1) I knew I had seen that mascot somewhere before! Good catch.

2) On Madison and special interest groups, he was speaking with the understanding that everyone is going to represent their own interest, if "men were angels we wouldn't need government" as he put it, so he figured that the more people you have getting their say, the less likely only one voice is heard. That is still really simplified though.

3) Yeah the block party was really awesome. I am really excited for the next one, and I will bookmark that page for more bees.

4) I am glad you got the humor of it! I had fun with it.