One of the things on my list for 2009 was to become more connected to UB. When I attended college in the 80s, I didn't take the time to really get to know my college. It's probably why I didn't finish at the time. When I enrolled in my local community college in 2004, I was determined to do things differently, and I became much more involved. Once at UB, unfortunately, I turned to my old habits. After all, I'm an older student and working adult. Who has time to become "involved" in the college life? When I had what I call my "what am I doing this for" crisis last fall, I decided I needed to make a change, so I began the spring semester searching for ways to become more connected. I started using the gym in the Campus Rec Center even going as far as hiring a personal training (Thanks AJ!). I also began exploring more of the UB's resources starting with the achives at Langsdale Library. I started paying more attention to the everchanging UB campus, and the latest news about our community. And of course, I became a summer blogger. It's helped me see UB in a different and more positive way.
What's next for the fall? I've been accepted as a Peer Network Advisor. I'll be working with 3 new students this fall helping them navigate through their own educational journeys, as well as helping them discover for themselves the rich resources UB has to offer.
My point is that we all need to become involved, even in the smallest possible way. By doing so, we become a part of a community that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. The college degree is important; it will help you get a job. The college experience, on the other hand, will help you launch a career. Good luck to you all on your own college endeavors.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Carol, Have a great summer and I enjoyed your blogs. You are right we do need to become involved one way or another. I also feel like it helps you as a person when you become so focused and personal with the one place you dedicate yourself to the most. I always wanted that opportunity to go away for college and live in a dorm but my family did not have the money to put me through college. I am happy I now became involved in becoming a Summer and Fall Blogger.Thanks for your messages and enjoy being an advisor you will be great!
Thanks for your post, Carol! You're right: Involvement or engagement in one way or the other means the UB experience will be more fulfilling. And you don't have to immerse yourself in a "traditional" college environment to do that. I've been trying to take advantage more and more of the opportunities on campus, including going to Spotlight UB events in the evenings and participating in committees that allow me to get to know people throughout the University. Thanks again--hope to continue reading your posts throughout the summer!
Post a Comment