Okay, I don't consider myself a shopaholic, but when it comes to a bag for school, I've been shopping for just the right one for... well, years. A lot of years. See, I spent about 20 years getting my associate degree. Not consecutive, of course -- I took courses here and there, as time and money permitted, without a real plan or major until near the end, but I had a great time doing it that way.
But back to the point. It feels like I've spent just as much time and money trying to find the perfect backback or shoulder bag or rolling bag or something that would be big enough to hold everything I want to carry, but easy to handle, and at least sort of stylish looking. Every time I buy a new bag, I think I've found "the one" but sooner or later some reason crops up that sets me back on the shopping path.
I've seen some backpacks that look like they'd do the trick, but I really don't like carrying backbacks very much because they're too bulky and heavy. I've tried a couple of the rolling bags -- the one that was big enough to hold all my textbooks and the typical kinds of things women carry in a purse was just too big. So much so, that one classmate actually asked me if I stay in the city during the week and just go home on weekends. So, I ditched that one pretty much just out of embarrassment.
I tried a smaller rolling bag, but it turned out to be too small. Last semester, I found a great sling-style shoulder bag at the UB bookstore that holds lots of stuff, but isn't big enough for textbooks. If it were, I probably wouldn't want to carry that much weight on one shoulder anyway.
My most recent bag is another roller type. It's kind of "squat" with several compartments for file folders, laptop, etc., and I really like it. Problem is, it's still kind of on the big side -- enough so that I sometimes get weird looks or comments about it.
I don't know. Am I the only student who likes to take my textbook and a notebook to every class? Maybe I'm being too picky. Or too sensitive about what other people think. Anyone found a good system or bag that works well? I'd love to hear about it.
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I use a backpack and most of the time I do take my textbook(s) and a notebook to class. Personally, I'd say go for practicality over looks; if your current one gets the job done, don't worry about what people say/think. You can't please everyone, after all.
Lynne,
I am with you - it can be difficult to find the right bag for your books. I have many of them and can't seem to find one that I really like. Thanks for the post.
Remember back when we didn't have backpacks and we used those rubber thingies (what were they called?) to keep our books together? Okay, so I'm dating myself - this was a long time ago. I agree that there doesn't seem to be a real solution. I once tried to pick up my son's backpack, (he's a junior in high school) and nearly gave myself a hernia. The question is, do we really need to lug those big textbooks to every class? When I was at the community college, I would keep books in my car and switch out for different classes. This, of course, isn't as feasible here at UB. How about using a locker? If this is too much of a hassle, then I'm with Rob...don't worry about what other people say...use what works for you.
OMG Lynne,
I totally identify and sympathize with your search!! I have a "bag graveyard" of oversize purses which I have used to carry my books which eventually bit the dust because they couldn't handle the weight! Maybe a UB design student should create the perfect book bag and all the profits could go to UB's programs...just a thought.
Sarah
Sarah, you are a genius! Now, who do we go to to get this started -- maybe Prof. Ed Gold would be a good place to start. He's so creative and as Director of the Ampersand Institute, he has access to scores of creative minds. I seriously think we should pursue this!
Post a Comment