It's that time of year again-- cool weather, changing leaves. All the signs are there, like the funnel cloud of a tornado or all the animals hightailing it into the hills: It's mid-terms and I'm broke.
I had forgotten this part of college, blocked it out of my mind while telling people how I loved school and my Master's Degree would help me get a better job. I think, for the first time undergraduates out there, this is a rite of passage. There's something a little romantic about heating up your Ramen noodles in the microwave and not having enough money to dry your clothes. You can bond with undergrads across the nation, swapping war stories of surviving with lint in your pockets and a can of peaches in syrup. (Not to say that it doesn't suck. But, again, when you leave you will wear your years of malnourishment as a badge of honor.)
However, when you are 26 and the only thing in your shopping cart is a jar of off-brand peanut butter, some saltines, and an industrial sized box of Ramem....Yeah, the reactions are a little bit different. Plus, you're in classes with real adults--the ones with jobs and kids and mortgages. They can afford Starbucks everyday and frivolous winter accoutrement like gloves.
However, since I have been down this road before I have learned that there are things that I can get by without. Yes, the obvious, i.e. TV and internet and using a dryer. But, when you are really bare bonesing it,you've got to get creative.
Each purchase of food becomes vital and you must answer a series of questions before placing the item in the cart.
Questions to ask: How long will it last? Can I use it at every meal? (Peanut butter being the standard by which all other foodstuffs fall short. It has protein. On toast it becomes breakfast, on celery a snack, between two slices of bread lunch...and dinner...and another snack.)Does it add to my feeling full in anyway? (And so most condiments fall by the wayside.)
You'll notice nutritional value is not on the list. That was my mistake as an undergraduate, now I check that out and, if I'm feeling too guilty about the Chef Boyardee I bought for a buck a can at Dollar General, I toss an apple onto the other groceries. (Ultimately, I think my pets are eating better than I am right now.)
Always, always check out bargain bins. So, you've never heard of the movie Shark Eats Man, it has a catchy title and is on sale for $1.50. (Although, okay, we now have these fancy dollar-a-night DVD rental machines. Talk about havin' it easy.) Still, such movies can make great gifts if your struggles continue through the holidays.
Do all homework in the 24 hour computer lab--saves on electricity in your own home.
You don't really need conditioner, or shampooo for that matter. Wash your hair with your body soap, sure it'll be a little stiff and dry, but what comes first, folks? What comes first?
New shoes? Don't be silly. Duct tape. (The answer to all your fashion and decorating needs.)
And, of course, scour the Daily Digest for food give aways. If a club/event/department is going to hand out free pizza, there is no reason not to jump on that. And elbow other people aside, discreetly, so you can get three slices.
Of course, this semester seems worse than others I've weathered. A lot of the grad. students I know that moved to Baltimore are struggling to find jobs and we're all turning back to our dark days of food service and retail. And even that is no guarantee.
But, hey, I hear the recession is over.
Things I've found this week: I can burn myself cooking anything. And I use the term cooking very loosely. (The first time I was making mac'n'cheese, the second time I was making tea in the microwave.) Mish-mashed meat products like bologna and sausage begin to blur together if eaten too often.
Things I still need to find: A third found thing. Someone willing to fund my book habit and my eating habit. And the hours I spent watching Magnolia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Haha this is a great post. I lived with a kid who ate nothing but generic Nilla Wafers all semester because they were past the date and he got them for 25 cents a box.
Some things I have learned:
Peanut Butter is the answer, but you already know that.
Plain Pasta with a little salt and butter is very good at filling you up and costs next to nothing.
The bathrooms on campus have toilet paper.
This really made me laugh, good luck with midterms.
Tabitha,
Gotta have food!
Don't sleep on the working adult with the mortgage and kids...Dollar store is my place !!! 4-pk toilet paper for a dollar...2 for $1 paper towels...I stock my car with napkins from places like Mcdonalds and taco bell. I got my gloves from the man selling incense, gloves and batteries from his tranch coat !!! And OMG Redbox is my best friend...dollar movies all the way. Kool-aid is your friend. I'm with you on the peanut butter and jelly. At 34, it's still my favortie food !!! My mother still laughs when she see me eating one.
Spencer, heck yes to the toilet paper. Do you just run down or smuggle it out? 'Cause there's probably something to be said for both. (Disclaimer: I am not advocating theivery.)
Charlene, heh, yes. That was how my own mother got us through--and, yes, dumpster diving for furniture. She could shine up and slip-cover to great effect. I'm rather excited that in the Baltimore area people just put out furniture with signs: Free to take. At home, we yard sale it up. Everything is worth something.
Your mother must have known my father !!! He could strip some wood and re-vanish it like nobody's business. His dumpster diving rubbed off on me cause I was walking home and saw some folding chairs near a dumpster and called my husband and told him come with the car ! My mother shocked her head when i told her where I got the chairs from. My dad agreed it was a good find !!! My neighbor "recylces" a lot of stuff. she always got crap sitting on her porch. if you ever looking for something, hit me up and I'll look on her porch for you. it helps too she's my husband's cousin. We gave her our washer when we bought this house cause it was one here but we had our own and he basement look like sanford and son she had so much unused stuff. she gave away and complete wall to wall unit..just because. i think there may be a term for her type of "recycling" madness. But I'm for real, if you need something, she probably got it so let me know !!!! If you drive, there's a nice thrift store on Ritchie Hwy. If you coming from Glen Burnie towards the city, it's on the left hand side. We got a lot of nice stuff for my son...with the price tags still on some of it.
I live a few blocks away from campus on MLK. If you live anywhere near the vacitnity do yourself a favor and check out the Save-A-Lot near the corner of McMechen and Eutaw.
Assuming you have some staples (butter, milk, bread etc.) and some spices you can seriuosly have a shopping spree in that place for $10. I went in the other day and got 16 hot dogs and 16 buns, a bag of cereal, 3 boxes of mac and cheese and a 6 pack of ramen for $6. Pretty much the gold standard for broke college kid/ghetto shopping.
(Tip: Bring your own bags, they cost $.10 a piece there)
Post a Comment