Monday, March 8, 2010

happy belated national grammar day

yea, it's a real day :p don't believe me? check it out :) it was technically last week, but i still wanted to share. we're creeping up to paper writing season, and you may find some of these useful (or just amusing). so, in honor of one of my favorite aspects of grade school english, here are links to my favorite grammatical things courtesy of the internets [please note that my love does not extend to all punctuation, and i don't necessarily use super awesome grammar when blogging. they're my posts in my "voice" so neener :p]

Stuff White People Like - Grammar: "it is impossible for a white person to turn down the opportunity to proofread" (lol i may secretly be a white person)

William Strunk's The Elements of Style: "aims to lighten the task of instructor and student by concentrating attention ... on a few essentials"

and everyone's favorite... the oatmeal! motherf'in semicolon; apostrophe and misspelled words with a test

there's lots of fun to be had over at the national grammar day site, but i will fight you on some of this list: Top Ten Grammar Myths
#8 i'm disappointed in Merriam-Webster for allowing this to be added to the dictionary. people, i will red ink this when i proofread your papers (because of course you would ask me to proofread; reference item one above)
#2 is still extremely awkward to me. however (yea, #9!), i've noticed that i'm splitting more in my assignments. i HATE it so that's another red ink
#1 red ink! the point of a paper is to sound pretentious. pretentious snoots don't end sentences with prepositions :p
i realize the list is referring to regular conversations, but some fools like to apply the above to academic work. please don't do it; you just look ridiculous




this ends your grammar lesson of the day. i hope you had as much fun as i did :)

3 comments:

Spencer said...

Ahh, the Oatmeal and grammar, two of my favorite nerdy subjects!

Charlene F. said...

OMG...you have just made me sweat again !! I truly hate grammar and writing. Just let me talk !!! As a child and teen I won essay contests and was even accepted to Duke Elligton School of the Arts, Literary and media Arts program. Now as an adult I see them damn red marks, I'm like what happened? I used to know this stuff ! Just an hour ago, I was writing a paper for class and all I could (and couldn't see) was commas, semi-colons, capital letters, proper paragraph flow...nerve-racking (wait is that in the dictionary !!).

Aula said...

haha! loved it. I can't believe that there's an actual day dedicated to grammar. Interesting find :-)