Although Baltimore is a pretty awesome city, I do have some major transportation gripes.
First of all, check out Tabitha's post about Road Rage Walking and Charlene's post about Speeders Around Campus. I'm not going to repeat what they said, but I will say I agree wholeheartedly about some of the dangers of walking in Baltimore.
My complaint is about the MTA, or Maryland Transit Administration. My apartment is about two miles from campus, so in the morning, I generally ride the light rail commuter train. At about $3 a day, it is probably cheaper than even walking when you consider replacing shoes and lost calories. It is convenient, trains run about every 15 minutes, and the total trip is about 20 minutes. Additionally, the Mt. Royal stop is 1 block from the law building.
The fun ends there.
Unfortunately, for many Baltimore residents, the light rail is the school bus. I am sure you remember your own days on the bus, it is pretty much the same, except it is less fun the older you get. By the time you reach adulthood (or at least an age when you are supposed to act like an adult) it really just makes you wish you never got on. Also, there are some sort of dog sniffing searches at times. I cannot say if they are looking for drugs, bombs, or unattended babies, but they stop the train for anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes each time. Not really helpful when you got on the train thinking you were going to go somewhere. And I wish someone could explain why the ticket collectors get in your face verifying that you have a ticket, and in my case that I have a student ID, but then allow the guy in the next seat to ride for free. Furthermore, how is it that no matter when I ride the light rail, there is always someone drunk or high on the train as well. I guess at least they aren't driving.
Needless to say, I have been enjoying our fall weather by walking most of the time.
Since this so far has been nothing but complaints, how about something a little lighter. In Criminal Law we read a case where the defendant argues, "I didn't kill him by shooting him in the head four times, the doctor killed him by taking him off life support." Big surprise here, but the court didn't buy it.
My contracts teacher called on me to answer in class, and said, "Ok Mr. Minzewski (he can't say my last name), you do the thinkin and I'll do the drinkin."
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Spencer,
I agree! Baltimore is not one of the safest places. We are rated as one of the top cities with crime. This is def. unfortunate for us true Baltimore residents. I thankfully have not been a victim of any of these crimes.
LJ
Another city I lived in for a long time was Seattle. Like Baltimore, when I rode the Metro, drunk ppl sit anywhere even right next to me (eww!). They pay no attention to you and start to tell you all their dramas/problems, yada yada, as if they own the seat and they reek of stinkiness. Unfortunately, the city won't fix the problem.
Oh dear. Another mode of transportation that sucks ! I think is something about that area. My husband, a native of Baltimore, said they usually do checks in between long stretches of stops...he gave an example but I forgot. A few years ago, my mother came to enjoy Artscape and I had to tell her show her ticket. She too had never seen such...nobody checking for fares/tickets in DC !!! And yes I was the one getting looked at and talked about clearly by an out of town family that didn't know State Employees ride for free. Even my mother questioned me about why I wasn't buying a ticket. I told her look lady the government said show this ID, I do and I keep my money. Thats all I need to know !!!
Now if I didn't have to drive to take my son to/from sitter, I would take bus but only because I live where I can take the express, which is more working adults (and no drunks) that know how to act (and smell) on the bus!!!!
I used to live in Linthicum and ride the LR to work every day. I moved into the city when they shut down the crucial bit from Patapsco to the inner city in order to doubletrack the single track parts of the route, as I did not relish the prospect of years of the Light Rail Bus Bridge. That was pretty good hell, that was.
Back then we didn't have bomb-sniffing dogs to delay us, we just had random delays, and there were always tiresome YELLING PEOPLE having conversations down the car with one another AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICES about completely uninteresting and uninspiring subjects. I generally tried to hide behind a book, but sometimes I'd have to pull out the cell phone and have an incomprehensible conversation with someone imaginary in order to not get hassled by the crazies.
(Charlene, state employees ride for free? That's fantastic. I wish it applied to University System employees!!)
Yeah liz...That's about the best part of working for the State. I ride bus, subway or light rail for free. I park for free too. they provided a parking pass. Now I'm sure not everyone gets that perk. not sure who pays for the majority of us working in this building to park for free but I'm on that "Don't ask, don't tell" kick !!!
Did they ever finish that double tracking? haven't been on that end of light rail in years.
Post a Comment